Residential lightning claims
Home fires caused by lightning strikes account for 19% of all lightning fires. As a result, over 300 million dollars in property damages occur each year to homes. The aftermath of a residential fire caused by a lightning damage can leave homeowners and other property owners with the burden of facing extremely difficult and complex decisions. Issues related to lightning damage to property such as roofing materials, structural framing, drywall, flooring, insulation, electric, plumbing & HVAC systems and other interior finishes are just some of the many concerns one should have when dealing with a lightning loss causing a fire.
Properly identifying and investigation other potential issues such as soot removal, deodorization, structural damage restoration & repairs may create larger obstacles to the simple apparent cosmetic damage to finishes that an insurance company’s adjuster may just consider. Property owners are also faced with the delicate and emotional toll that damage to personal property such as cloths, furniture, electronics, and items of sentimental value can take on one whose house just burned or been heavily affected by a lightning strike. Displacement of one’s home in many cases is the biggest loss to someone dealing with a lightning damage and fire damage claim. Navigating and understanding the process of a lightning and fire claim will be overwhelming, the assistance of an experience and qualified public adjuster can prove to be essential to the policyholder.
3 ways that lightning damages homes
- Fire from a lightning strike can cause catastrophic damage to a home by igniting flammable building materials which will spread the fire and smoke throughout.
- Power Surge Damage can affect electric, plumbing, & HVAC systems along with electronics and appliances.
- Shock Wave Damage can cause explosive waves & vibrations that can rattle and shake foundations, block walls, tile floors and even chimneys.
Common items damaged directly by lightning
- Roofs and Building Envelopes
- Block walls
- Structural Components such as trusses & roof framing
- Attic space & Insulation
- Electrical, Plumbing & HVAC Systems
- Tile floor cracks
- Moldings & Finishes
- Garage Door openers
Claim management strategies for residential fires
Lightning and fire damage claims related to homes can be different in many ways. When consulting with your public adjuster, a plan should be developed with the following questions.
- Is there a visible point of entry from the lightning strike?
- What is the extent and scope of damages to my property?
- What is the initial proposed cost of repairs and restoration?
- Does any of my property damage need to be brought up to code?
- Do you have an estimated timeline for the period of repairs and restoration?
- What are benefits under the insurance policy contract?
- What are my duties and conditions under the insurance policy?
- How long will it take to receive any payment for my claim?
- Should I make arrangements for temporary living?
- Do I have damage to personal property such as electronics and appliances?
- How do I keep my tenant?
- Do I have coverage for “Loss of Use” or “Additional Living Expenses”?
- How long can my claim settlement take?
Our public adjusters service the following areas
Floridian International Adjusters continues to expand into several regions of the US and abroad. Currently, our licensed adjusters can assist property owners with damage in the following locations:
|South Carolina||North Carolina|
Property loss consultants working for you!
Founded in a region known for it’s high risk of natural disasters such as tropical storms, hurricanes, floods, fires and other catastrophes. Floridian International Adjusters has become a known advocate for policyholders who have incurred the consequence of property damage to their homes and businesses. Our licensed public adjusters have represented and settled thousands of property insurance claims on behalf of property owners. FIA’s trained staff and adjusters come from many diverse backgrounds such as customer relations, architecture, emergency restoration, marketing, business administration and even from inside the insurance carrier side of the property insurance industry. The combination of these various disciplines gives the firm a competitive edge in excelling the practice of public insurance adjusting, property loss consulting and loss appraisal.
Floridian International Adjusters core principles center on the needs of our clients. Our careful representation and insurance claim management strategies provide your property loss claim with an opportunity to maximize the benefits of your insurance policy coverage in an efficient and pro-active manner. Understanding the nature of identifying damage and properly appraising the value of your claim is our specialty.